1940 - 1959
The Operation Theatre was located next to X-Ray Department.
It consisted of one operating room with one operating table.
Available instrument: Three sets of general abdominal operating instruments & two D&C sets.
Sterilizing technique: Boiling sterilizer
Example of encountered emergency situation: fetal distress with LSCS (lower abdominal surgery)
done on patient trolley.
1960 - 1984
1960: Moved to new Operation Theatre with two operating rooms (renovated formal kitchen)
1970s: Addition of minor surgery room
1973: Introduction of the first Laparoscopy
Sterilizing technique: Autoclave (steam sterilizer)
1960s: one surgeon
From 1970: One Surgeon & One Gynaecologist
From mid 1970s: Surgeon, Gynaecologist & Ophthalmologist (one each)
From 1984: Surgeon, Gynaecologist, Ophthalmologist, Orthopaedic Surgeon (one each)
1985 - 1994
1985: Further renovation of existing operation theatre to accommodate five operating rooms
From 1988: Surgeon, Gynaecologist, Ophthalmologist, Orthopaedic Surgeon,
Anaesthesiologist (one each)
From 1992: Surgeon, Gynaecologist, Ophthalmologist, Orthopaedic Surgeon,
Anaesthesiologist & ENT Surgeon (one each)