Evolution of the Curriculum for School of Nursing in Lau King Howe Hospital
1959 to 1970: Structured Training Programme Nurse Education was more structured
since 1959. In 1959 a qualified Nurse Tutor, Mrs. Doreen Street, from England was
recruited to head the Nursing School in Kuching. The training programme took 3
years and 4 months to complete. It consisted of structured theory and practical training.
1961 to 1974: Training Programme for Certified Division II Midwifery
In 1961, a colonial Nursing Sister, Margaret Malloy, initiated the first Division
II midwifery training in Lau King Howe Hospital. The training took 3 years to
complete with part 1 and part 2 curriculum modules.
1970 to 1974: Updated Training Programme for Certified Assistant Nurses
In 1970, a formal training for Assistant Nurses was initiated for all the
Assistant Nurses trained under apprenticeship system in Sarawak. The certified
Nursing Programme took 2 years to complete.
1975 to 1987: Jururawat Masyarakat (JM)/Community Nurse Training Programme
In 1975, The Jururawat Masyarakat training programme started in Kuching using
the block system. The Jururawat Masyarakat programme was initiated because the
Department felt that there was a need to have a multi-purpose nurses who can
serve either in the hospital or the public health in the rural areas.